There’s nothing quite as indulgent as a good macaroni cheese. It’s a super winter treat and all the family love it.
For 2 adults and a little one:
- 1 L milk
- 1 small onion
- 4-5 cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- a pinch of freshly ground nutmeg
- 350 g macaroni
- 100 g butter (plus extra to grease the cooking dish)
- 100 g flour
- 2 handfuls of grated parmesan
- 1 handful of mature cheddar
- 1 handful of Gruyère (optional – use extra cheddar instead)
- 12 cherry tomatoes
Make a bechamel sauce as described in our lasagne recipe. In parallel, boil the macaroni until just before it’s done, then drain it. Add the parmesan and cheddar to the bechamel. Stir the pasta through the cheese sauce.
Grease a large Pyrex or other baking dish with butter. Pour in the pasta and cheese sauce and top with halved cherry tomatoes and Gruyère. Bake for 40 minutes at 170 C.
If you liked this, why not sign up to our blog. You’ll get an email to tell you every time we post a recipe.