The last time I was home, I cut this recipe out of a weekend supplement in the paper. It’s a deceptively simple soup that is wholesome and nourishing. The carrots add a surprising sweetness that little ones will love. The barley transforms it into a filling vegetarian treat.
For 4 bowls of soup:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic finely sliced
- 2 large carrots chopped into 1cm square chunks
- 250 g mushrooms chopped into quarters
- 120 g pearl barley rinsed in cold water
- 1 litre stock (vegetable / chicken) – we use kallo stock cubes
- A few sprigs of thyme
- A good few turns of freshly ground black pepper
Using a large pan, add the oil and the onions and fry for about 5 minutes until they are soft. Add the garlic and fry for another minute. Then add the rest of the ingredients and bring the soup to the boil.
Cover the pan and cook for 45 minutes over a low heat, stirring occasionally to stop the barley from sticking to the pan. Top up the stock level if the soup reduces too much and gets too thick. Serve with chunky bread.