Happy days – it’s sunny again! Ever since a fantastic trip to Mykonos, we eat a lot of Greek salads. It’s a brilliant lunch for all the family. You can use a combination of any of the ingredients listed below. Cucumber, tomato, feta and onion with an oil and vinegar dressing are a must The rest are optional.
Lunch for 2 adults and a little one:
- 1/2 a cucumber
- 3 tomatoes sliced
- 1/2 a red onion, thinly sliced and soaked in water for 10 minutes (this makes it taste much sweeter)
- 1/2 a block of feta cheese in chunks
- 2 tbsp caperberries or 1tbsp capers
- 2 tbsp olives
- Some chopped mint and parsley
- A sprinkle of dried oregano
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
A Jamie Oliver recipe I read for greek salad suggests scraping the outside of the cucumber with a fork before chopping it in lengths. Then soak it and the chopped tomato in the oil and vinegar dressing for a while before serving. This is a great trick. Add the remainder of the ingredients, mix thoroughly and top with feta. We serve ours with some toasted ciabatta rubbed with a little olive oil and garlic.